Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fun Cricut Cards

I am determined to stop collecting cricut cartridges and start using them. I sat down and went through all the ones I've bought that haven't been used. The list was embarassingly long, so I started on a mission to use them all. I have found that usng the Imgaine app on my Gypsy make it really easy to put a card together. You can choose the background paper(s) you want and then fill the layers of your image from the same Imagine cartridge. This way you're sure everything is color coordinated. I laid out a lot of the new cartridges and had my daughter pick an image she liked off of them. She picked this little giraffe from the Sugar and Spice lite cartridge. I filled the layers of the giraffe with a pattern and a solid color from the Imagine More Cards cartridge. I popped him up from a scallop circle (also from Sugar and Spice and filled with pink from Imagine More Cards). The background paper for the card is the same polka dot pattern I used on the giraffe, but I printed and entire 12 x 12 piece of it. The cool thing about the Imagine is that it scales the pattern to the size of your cut. On the 12 x 12 sheet of paper the dots are much larger than they are in the smaller giraffe. It's nice to be able to cut smaller elements without losing the pattern. I cut the sentiment from the Simply Charmed cartridge and filled it with a darker shade of pink, then I finished the card off with some ribbon and a bow. For this next card, I used the Sweethearts cartridge to cut the large damask shape. I filled the main shape and the shadow with pattern from the Elise Imagine cartridge. I cut a square from another pattern to use as my background paper. I wanted to add something else, but I couldn't decide on a sentiment. I chose this border from the Martha Stewart Elegant Cakes cartridge and filled it with this sand color from Elise. The Martha Steward Elegant Cakes cartridge has a lot of the same designs you find in the Martha Stewart punch around the page punches, but the cartridge takes up less room than all the punches. I still have a lot more cartridges to get through, but it's really been a lot of fun reconnecting with my cricut.

5 comments:

Deanna Mulder said...

Great cards Mindy. Love the giraffe. He is so cute and the Damask card looks so elegant.

paperscissorsink said...

Great cards, I love to dig out the older carts sometimes and play with them. So many images and so little time!

Sheri said...

Two beautiful cards Mindy. I want you to picture me with my fingers in my ears though...because I can't hear you!!! I am determined to stay immune to your enabling! ;)

Anonymous said...

Great cards Mindy! They are an inspiration for using my Cricut more!
Thanks for sharing,
Judy Garrelts

Sue in CT said...

Great cards!!! I love them both and as soon as I saw the first one you know I said...awwwww. It is very sweet.